Synchronet version 4 was conceptual future version (after v3.x) that “fixed all the things” in one huge upgrade:
The changes originally planned for a version 4:
- Replace most of the proprietary binary file formats (
*.dab) with text, likely INI Files format [done]
- Overhaul the file database to support modern files (long filenames, sizes > 4GB, etc.) [done] and other enhancements (discussions, torrents)
- Replace proprietary fixed-length text data files (
*.dat), likely with fixed-length record, variable-length field tab/NL-delimited text files [done]
- Eliminate sub-board “ptridx” concept (cause of bugs when copy/pasting subs in SCFG and other issues [done]
- Expand the maximum length of many of the limited-length fields (e.g. passwords, internal codes) [done]
- Replace hard-coded msg area and file area functions (e.g. reading msgs, file listings, etc.) with modules
- Filter file (e.g.
twitlist.cfg) overhaul, adding expiration dates, focused areas of filtering, etc.
- FidoNet netmail stored in
... and probably some other stuff from this list.
Rather than a massive version 4 that changed tons of things at once, we've been rolling in progressive enhancements into version 3.x, more or less one feature at a time per release. We will likely continue to do this until there is some massive change that makes virtually all existing Synchronet-related things incompatible with it. None of the todo items in the above bullet list meet that criteria. So, don't be expecting a version 4 any time soon.