Synchronet version 4 is still in the conceptual stage.
The main changes planned at this time are:
- Replace most of the proprietary binary file formats (
*.dab) with text, likely INI Files format
- Overhaul the file database to support modern files (long filenames, sizes > 4GB, etc.) and other enhancements (discussions, torrents)
- Replace proprietary fixed-length text data files (
*.dat), likely with fixed-length record, variable-length field tab/NL-delimited text files
- Eliminate sub-board “ptridx” concept (cause of bugs when copy/pasting subs in SCFG and other issues
- Expand the maximum length of many of the limited-length fields (e.g. passwords, internal codes)
- Replace hard-coded msg area and file area functions (e.g. reading msgs, file listings, etc.) with modules
- Filter file (e.g.
twitlist.cfg) overhaul, adding expiration dates, focused areas of filtering, etc.
- FidoNet netmail stored in
… and probably some other stuff from this list.