This is an old revision of the document!
Table of Contents
Synchronet Inter-BBS Instant Message Module
The purpose of this module is to provide a real-time inter-BBS instant message feature for participating systems.
History of this module/feature:
- Queried systems using Finger (TCP port 79)
- Sent message using SMTP-SOML (TCP port 25)
Rev 1.11 (2002)
- Queried system using both TCP and UDP-Finger (port 79)
- Still sent messages using SMTP-SOML
Rev 1.22 (2007)
- Queried using SYSTAT/ActiveUser protocol (TCP & UDP port 11) in addition to Finger (TCP and UDP port 79)
- If send via SMTP failed, used MSP protocol (TCP port 18)
Rev 1.25 (2009)
- Removed Finger (both TCP and UDP support), SYSTAT-TCP and SMTP support, so it now *only*:
- Queries using SYSTAT/ActiveUser protocol over UDP port 11
- Sends messages using MSP (TCP port 18)
So, while originally the requirements for systems to participate in the instant-message network were:
- Synchronet SMTP Server listening on TCP port 25
- fingerservice.js listing on TCP port 79
Now, the requirements are:
- activeuserservice.js (or fingerservice.js) listening on UDP port 11
- mspservice.js listening on TCP port 18
The heart of the instant message module is the
The List File is generated daily on Vertrauen through the use of the
imsglist command-line option. This sbbslist option parses the Synchronet BBS List and finds listed-systems that meet the minimum requirements to be included in the instant-message list and re-generates the
Since Vertrauen uses its Synchronet BBS List as the source of BBSes which may be instant-message capable, the first requirement is that a system is listed in this database.
To have your system listed, either:
- login to Vertrauen and create your BBS entry or,
- preferably, run the sbbslist module on your own BBS and have it synchronized with Vertrauen and the rest of DOVE-Net or FidoNet via the
SYNCDATAnetworked message area
The following services must also be reachable via the public-Internet for a system to be listed in the Instant Message module List File (
- SYSTAT/ActiveUser service (using the Finger service) on UDP port 11
- MSP service (using the MSP service) on TCP port 18
[ActiveUser-UDP] Port=11 MaxClients=10 Options=UDP | NO_HOST_LOOKUP Command=fingerservice.js -u
[MSP] Port=18 MaxClients=10 Command=mspservice.js
You can use this page to help determine if the required services are publicly-reachable on your system.
Once a system is listed in the Synchronet BBS List on Vertrauen and the required services are confirmed publicly-reachable on the Internet, that system should appear in the shared
sbbsimsg.lst file within 24 hours.